Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Opening sentence


It was not the sort of wakeup she had expected.


Thus starts my story. I don't know its length (short, novella, novel, series?), but I do know some of the key players, the scenery and some plot points, including several possible ending points.

The setting: a habitable moon of a gas giant somewhere in the galaxy

The key players: stranded humans and indigenous big birds. The "she" is one Minea Lintunen, a pilot. (And no, I didn't choose the name Lintunen 'a small bird'. She told me.)

Plot points: that would be telling.

I'm going to experiment with actually getting stories done by posting progress reports here. I intend to write at least 1000 words a week. Feel free to ping me if I don't report such progress.

Feel free to comment. Feel free to ask. Feel free to ignore me.

On second thought, strike that last.

Snippets are generally unedited first drafts. I know they suck :)


There was a slight smell of smoke. For some strange reason, the nose tends to recover first, but there should have been no smoke on a starship. Her ears rang; that at least was as they had warned her. Slowly she started to make out sound that was not made by the blood that was flowing inside her head. The sound was wailing. In the haze of the cryo drugs that still dominated her brain she grappled about for the handle that fit that sound.

The general alarm.


Word count for today: 494.
Word count for week 38/2007: 494.

No comments: