Sunday, September 30, 2007

Non-progress

Week 2: 1355 words
Project: 2718 words

I should have guessed that a bout of easy writing would be followed by hard times. It wasn't such a good thing after all that I managed to write more than the weekly quota on the first day I wrote this week. I haven't touched the writerly keyboard since until today. Today, I have written 190 words of narrative and 62 words of an abortive character study on the medtech Richard.

I know what needs to be accomplished next. I just have no idea how they're going to do that. Must figure out how the ship actually works.

I also notice that Minea is my only real character thus far, and she has no human opposition. To create that opposition and interesting character moments, I'll have to go back to their past, and figure out why anyone would volunteer to crew a hibernation ship (it's a lifetime post, they can't have a middle-life crisis or the ship gets in danger, and they'll be ready to go to an old folks' home when they arrive at the destination, while their passangers wake up all full of their youth), and related to that, what actually happened on Earth between today and roughly the 2060's when the hibernation ship launches, that makes the ships practical, economically viable and attractive for colonists. I had hoped I could just handwave these things, as the story happens Far Away A Lifetime Later, but it obviously affects the characters.

Damn. I had a whole week to develop this stuff with no narrative wordcount pressure and I wasted it.

Damn.

It's bedtime now. I'll do better tomorrow evening, I'm sure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The ship could be manned by robots or automatons of the kind, with a reduced crew in hibernation too, which could be woken up in case of trouble (yeah, I knowm it sounds a lot like Alien).